Developed by: NALA & SETU
Empowering Adult Learners of Basic Skills
Basic Skills Teachers / Tutors
23th May – 17th June 2022
Certificate of Completion:
Participants completing the course will be awarded in the following ways:
1) Digital Certificate on Completing the Course: Empowering Adult Learners of Basic Skills
Criterion 1: accessed each of the content pages in the MOOC.
Those who meet this criterion will receive a digital certificate automatically at the end of the course. The certificate will certify that the participant has completed the course and engaged with all elements of the course thematics / content.
2) EBSN Badge on Professional Development Series: Empowering Adult Learners of Basic Skills
(Only for those completed criterion 1 and received Certificate of Completion)
Criterion 2: completed knowledge checks (quizzes) and submission of at least 1 meaningful and relevant post in the forum discussions every week (corresponding to the thematic questions of the week, altogether minimum 4 entries within the course course).
This will prove that the participant reflected on the course content from the perspective of their own practice and were able to apply newly gained knowledge and insights in their own context.
The PDS is an initiative of EBSN to support teachers, adult educators, basic skills trainers, and tutors to develop their training skills and methods to help people progressing on their upskilling pathways. Within the project supported by ERASMUS+ Program a series of OERs and MOOCs are being developed.
The „ Empowering Adult Learners of Basic Skills” is one of the courses which is being implemented and tested with Norwegian adult education professionals in the period 23th May – 17th June 2022, by Folkeuniversitetet Norway.
This course has specifically been designed to assist you in empowering and motivating students to enhance your teaching practices when working with adults of basic skills. It will introduce you to concepts on adult basic skills education and equip you with tools to use in your teaching context. The course aims to support the professional development of teachers/tutors in empowering and motivating the students of basic skills in all phases of their learning i.e. inclusion/recruitment, participating and completing learning programs. The objective of this course is to facilitate basic skills tutors with awareness of how basic skills adults learn, what challenges they face, and how those can be overcome along the way by adapting a strategic thinking from awareness raising through outreach initiatives and activities that guide and support adults along their learning pathways.
By the end of this MOOC, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the learning environment
- Identify the previous knowledge, skills and experience of adult learners
- Identify guidelines for good adult learning
- Implement tools and measures that help learners succeed
4 weeks long (5 hours/week; total 20 hours) online course, 2 live webinars with a tutor, and discussion forum opportunities. The presentations, videos and other resources will become available week by week.
 Live Webinars: Having tutor involvement in online courses is key to boost engagement and provide support. Therefore, this course includes 2 live sessions via Zoom. The webinars will take place in Week 1 and Week
Key themes of the course
Week1: The Learning Environment
Week2: The Learners’ Previous Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Week3: Empowerment: The Learner Voice
Week4: Implementation: Tools and Measures that Help Learners Succeed
Assignments & Assessment
During this course you will come across several Knowledge Checks which are short quiz questions to check your understanding of various topics. Please try your best to answer these and revise the relevant section if you come into difficulties. In addition to this you will be asked to reflect on your teaching practices using the newly gained knowledge.
Detailed course objectives
The Learning Environment! When you complete this week you will be able to:
- Get to Know your learner or group
- Understand how best to work with your learner
- Assess your learners’ strengths and set goals with your learners
- Understand the learner context
The Learners’ Previous Knowledge and Skills. By the end of this week you will be able to
- Understand how to draw on the learners’ prior knowledge, experience and skillset
- Understand the importance of ‘Recognition of Prior Learning’
- Understand the importance of preparing learning materials that take previous knowledge, skills and experience into account
Empowerment: The Learner Voice. When you complete this week you will be able to:
- Understand the principles of learner empowerment
- Implement guidelines for good adult learning
- Know how to help students identify their needs and goals
- Design activities that provide learners with opportunities to express themselves
Implementation: Tools and Measures that Help Learners Succeed! When you complete this week you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of learner motivation
- Assist student-centered and student-directed Learning
- Be able to incorporate teaching strategies that assist empowerment